Monday, January 24, 2011

God Bless America


I love being an American. I love our history, our culture, the good the bad and the stories of each family's journey from lands afar. As a kid, I had no idea where the "purple mountain's" were that we sang about each morning after the pledge of allegiance, but I respected their "majesty." (Still not sure which mountains...) Politics is my science and I am thrilled that in second grade, it is not too soon for our son's class to begin their own study of it.

As they learned about Martin Luther King Jr., John Andrew's class covered all of the major themes: difference, tolerance, the value of each individual and the sacrifices some made for many to experience the full range of opportunities available in our country. I was impressed with how far we have actually come when John Andrew shared why he was thankful for MLK Jr. During that holiday weekend. He shared with me: "Mom, do you know why I am thankful for Martin Luther King?...Because if it wasn't for him YOU might not have married DAD." I had to think about this. (Andy is white and so am I. Andy is of Greek descent and I am pan-European.) "Oh." I said, "You mean because dad's skin is "darker" than mine?" He gave me that, "well of course, silly look." (As an aside: If you ask our middle daughter what color she is, she will tell you, pink. Kalina is also proud to be a little bit Spanish, because she lives in Orlando.)

It continued. The following week at school, John Andrew brought home a book on the life of Martin Luther King Jr. He asked if I remembered when there were signs for "whites" and "coloreds." When I answered that Andy and I were not born, but his grandparents lived through that time, he looked thoughtful. "Oh," he replied, "so, was Pappou (Andy's dad) not allowed into the places that said "whites?" I really, really wished John were here at that moment to talk with our little boy, but I knew he was smiling in heaven. "No, honey, he could go in." "WAIT...You mean...Pappou was...WHITE? Hey, IS OUR WHOLE FAMILY [insert stunned silence]WHITE?" There was a look of his whole world shifting inside him. "Yes, John Andrew, we are all white."

Just the fact that this information had never been conveyed or material to our son before was a huge sign to me of where we are at as a nation. I know America is not a utopia, or even favorable for every group or individual. But, I can now say, based on my conversation with our 7 year old that we are getting there. The idea that people would rally around skin color or race as a way of creating differences seems arbitrary to our kids. The idea that they are not the beneficiaries of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life sacrifice seems wrong to them too. And the truth is they do benefit...we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment