Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day





I remember Indian Princesses with my dad. Car washes, lunch dates during school days, practicing arguments for the debate team, and how he was always in the audience at dance recitals, witness to the sea of sequins, aqua net and attitude. Any injuries to my ego from backstage antics were best cured by talking to him about history, religion or his own rambling childhood. Today, he camps with my son and husband on Cub Scout adventures and accompanies my girls and they perform elaborate numbers in my parents living room.

Now, I watch Andy as the father of our children and I am doubly thankful for his presence as well as my dad's in their lives. What a blessing to have these wonderful, very different men for our children to learn from and love.

John Andrew made Andy and I parents, began our family. I still remember the rush of love I felt for both my husband and my son in those first few moments. I also remember the anxious, hazy state of my mind those first days...and wondering if Andy felt anywhere near the level of confusion I did! The intensity, fear, wonder, and love that poured out of me had no place to be contained...but Andy was ever steady and patient, he kept coming back, even when my hormones were still "adjusting."
Truly, I could not have imagined a better father for our kids, which is why I was probably so excited about having Kalina and then Tiana. I can't imagine on the days when my last ounce of patience leaves me what I would do without Andy's calm determination. I love how fully he loves our kids; how much he does each day for them, and how at the end of it all, he still has room for me in his heart.
And, since Father's Day seems to be a moderately enjoyable way to honor the fathers in your life, I have marked the occasion *once again* with a fine piece of apparel for all involved. Now, when Betsey (my sister) and I were children, we loved to pick out very festive ties or even suspenders for our dad, who quietly returned them. This has continued. Tomorrow, my boys will be wearing matching ties, and my girls will have coordinating hair bows. This seems like the most appropriate way to honor these outstanding men, although I am fully aware that there will be some amount of wincing as we meet for brunch after church. I love them too much not to let everyone else who happens upon us know that simple fact. Happy Father's Day to the best guys in the whole world! I love you. (Pics to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment