Monday, August 9, 2010

Expectations

Backpacks and classrooms are looming large on our horizon, the kids are begining to wonder about their friends--who they just now seem to realize have been missing since May--and I am ready to put our suitcases away and get out my planner. This time of year fills me with so many expectations, which got me to thinking about what I actually expect from my children, from my spouse, and from this world. There are the simple expectations: my hopes for a good school year, healthy check-ups and expectations of forward progress on the various learning paths we travel. The lofty ones: expecting kindness at the dinner table, grace in front of company and steely resolve on the playground. The tedious ones: finding a new, more exciting place for Andy and I to catch-up on the days events. I mean, House Hunters plus wine and cheese is so cozy, but maybe I should dust off the patio furniture and pick up some tapas and sangria mix. At least for me, it seems everything comes down to expectations.

When we arrived at the airport this morning in Boston, I expected that we would have the normal obstacles to manuver and tricks to perform while ferrying our family of five home on a non-stop domestic flight. I was ready with sticker books, extra underwear (for the sort-of potty trained pre-schooler), ipods (for the mostly digital elementary schoolers) and candy (for me, really). So, when Andy mentioned to me in the too-long security line that our flight *may* be delayed (it's hard to read computer screens and keep tabs on the 2 year old, so he wasn't sure) I was shocked. No matter that EVERYONE gets delayed, all the time. No matter that I didn't even check before we left for the airport, so I didn't really know for certain that we were on time. This information met my the wall of my defenses like so much tabloid nonsense. "WHAT? But, how? What happened?" was all I could say. What would we DO with two unexpected hours on the "other side of security?" Mercifully, for us, someone else thought of these impossibilities and we spent an unbridled hour or so at the bouncy play area, then toured the food court. I learned that Andy and I can sit and talk at bouncy play areas, and that no matter where you are in Boston, there is a Dunkin Donuts with good coffee. AND, that watercolor paints and cootie catcher kits are excellent to have in your bag for a long day of air travel. Our plane took off, and landed uneventfully, and home we went not too much worse for the wear.

At the end of it all, I am reminded that in this life it is one thing to hold out your expectations, and quite another to live in the moments you are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment